Thursday, June 20, 2013

The Indispensable Relationship Between Faith And Prayer


We pray in faith that God will hear and answer our prayers because he has promised to do so. We pray with vigor when we have a pressing need like immediate danger or sickness for one we love. We appeal to the nature and promises of God in prayer as we bring the desires of our hearts to him. Our goal is we can capture the will and heart of God and put it into action. It could be said that prayer is an act of faith. In faith we pray believing that God will either answer the prayer or that he has something better in mind for us. We realize that we cannot see the whole picture or the future, but he can and thus we trust. Too often we come to God in prayer with a lack of faith, perhaps that is because we do not seek to pray without ceasing? Like exercise, prayer and faith are strengthened when practiced often.

As I read the words of Jesus in Mark 11 and Luke 11 about the relationship between faith and prayer I am struck by the reality that we are called to pray with faith and joy. With this in mind, I wonder how many prayers we utter need to be reformed? I wonder if we ask amiss (James 4:3) because we are not praying in faith? We are called to bring our requests to God, not to tell God how to fulfill those requests. Often what we think is best is not. It is sinful to pray in unbelief and it is also sinful to pray in a manner in which we believe we can command God to do our will. Rather, we pray for God’s will to be made clear and for him to give us what is best.

Are your prayers honest and from the heart? Do you try to put a false face of humility or sincerity in your prayers in some misguided belief you can fool your Creator? Where do you need to grow in your faith and trust in God? Too often we overcomplicate prayer. We come to the Lord as a child comes to a loving, just, and powerful father. We come in humility and in honesty to the One that wants to hear our requests.

What are you crying out to God about on a consistent basis? I am praying for so many things. I am praying for Dough Hardy my friend and co-laborer in Christ. I am praying for the excitement I read about in the book of Acts to come upon our congregation with power. I am praying for God to raise up more workers and more leaders. I am praying for wisdom to lead our congregation in discipleship and leadership development. I am praying for a personal mentor for myself. I am praying for energy and focus to get a major project done that I have been working on for five years.  I am praying for my baby, my wife, and well so many others. Join me in these prayers please.
(This will be in the church newsletter as well)

1 comment: