Wednesday, April 22, 2020

There is nothing like a bulldog

I hope you are able to know the love of a bulldog. My family and I were blessed to have our bulldog for 10 years as part of our family. There are some wonderful breeds of dogs, in fact some of the best dogs I have ever met have been those that it is impossible to tell what was their breed. That being said, I love bulldogs. What makes bulldogs so special? First, it is their temperament. Lucy was the sweetest dog to not only me, but more importantly to my little girls. She was so patient and laid back, she would let the girls do about anything with her. They hugged her, they played with her, they even brushed her teeth. Second, I love the sounds bulldogs make. For some these sounds can be endearing to others annoying, for me the sounds of snoring, gruning, and such help me to relax and sleep. Without them I have had a hard time sleeping. Third, I think they are beautiful. I know, that is very subjective. So be it. This bulldog has been a wonderful constant in lives of my family and me. The picture to your left was when she was our mascot for VBS one year. She did wonderful, bulldogs really are bread to be mascots. Let me share a few pictures and thoughts with you. I know this is for my own healing, so bear with me. 

This is the first the first time I meet Lucy. Crystal, my wife, was in Georgia for a work trip and she came into contact with a man that had bulldog puppies. She shocked me when she brought home this beautiful bulldog.  She quickly became a source of great comfort and love for me. 
One of my favorite things in the world to do was to sit on the couch work on the laptop, watch college football, and hold my sweet bulldog. She was always happy to see me, happy give me love, and to listen to me. I went through a rough patch of depression during this time. Having Lucy to love and to hold was very important for my mental health. No matter how I was feeling, what was going on, my attitude, or mood, she was always there ready to love and to be loved. I will always be grateful for this wonderful bulldog because she was there when I needed her most. 






When we had our little girls everything in our lives changed, and for the good. The joy they have brought to our home is immeasurable. Lucy was a part of their lives from day 1. They loved her and she loved them. At night she would go room to room checking on the girls and then back to our room. She would not go to sleep at night until she knew the girls were in their rooms, in their beds, and safe. She would often lay by their beds until they went to sleep. Then she would come back to our room. She would not go to bed until I was in my bed and often would be very annoyed until I turned off my laptop and we could go to sleep. Below are several pictures that show the love between little girls and their bulldog. 


Lucy was very tolerant of their playing with her, that is a wonderful thing. 

 These two pictures of above are the girls waiting for Crystal to get home from work. The first one is our oldest and the second is both of them about 3 years later. 

The one on the left was our oldest one and Lucy both taking a nap side by side. 













As Lucy got older she slowed down so very much. She did not play like she did when she was younger. She slept a lot, but never lost her love for us. On Saturday when I got home in the evening, Lucy was in her bed and had not been up all day. I went in and carried her outside so she could relieve herself. She was not able to walk so I helped her and then carried back in. I was able to get her to drink, but she would not eat or take her pain medicine. As the evening progressed I knew this was likely the end for my sweet bulldog. I have been with 10's of people when they have passed. The process for Lucy was very similar, the breathing and everything. I took her and put her in the bed with me in another room, just the two of us. She could not get comfortable in her bed and was clearly in pain. 

When I put her in the bed beside me. she laid in the crock of my arm and was content. I held her for several hours as she rested. I petted her and told how much she was loved. At 2 AM I recognized the sound of her breathing as being near the end. I prayed for God to let her rest and she died in my arms. I prayed and thanked God for letting have such a wonderful dog in my life. I realized she was there for me when I needed her most and was always there for me. I realized she brought she tremendous joy and comfort to my life. I thanked God that my little girls were able to know the love of a bulldog. I also prayed about how they would handle it, they have never known life without Lucy in it. The next morning, when the girls got up I was still holding Lucy. They came in and I told them. There were many tears, and many more to come over the last few days. 

I had to get up, and get ready to do what I must at the church. So I did. When I came home we buried Lucy in a part of the yard she loved and the girls decorated her grave with things they thought she would like. I hate death. I know Lucy was dog, not a human. I know there have been and will be much greater hurts and losses in our lives. Nevertheless, it hurts. I so look forward to the day when there is no morth death or mourning or tears. Until that day we cherish those we love, most of all our kids and spouses and friends, but also our fur babies. 

8 comments:

  1. Bane Angles this is so beautiful and touching. My thoughts and prayers are with you and yours. You and your family are such a blessings to me and many others. Thank you and God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is true love. I don't know how you got through your sermon on Sunday. I cried then and am crying now. So thankful your family let Lucy into their hearts and so sad that you have to let go. What precious memories you shared. (Your KY fan)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a beautiful eulogy to a 4 legged family member, you were there when Lucy need you most. Lucy was truly blessed to be a member of such a wonderful family. Love and prayers to all (your beach fan) plan a trip soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are praying for you all. Our Animals are our children.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bane, what a beautiful tribute to Lucy. We certainly understand the love between dogs and their people. What a gift that bond can provide with complete unconditional love that many do not understand. Our hearts and prayers are with you. Wes and Nan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bane I am so sorry to hear this. This is beautiful my heart goes out to you and your little family.

    ReplyDelete