Monday, April 14, 2014

If God Is For Me I Have Nothing To Fear

John Chrysostom, lived in the 4th century, earned the nickname “golden-mouth” because of his eloquent sermons against the lavish excesses of his day. While the masses loved him, he was not as popular with the Roman authorities.  When he was brought before the Roman emperor he was threatened with banishment if he remained a Christian. Chrysostom’s reply to the emperor reflects the insight of one who understands what true freedom in life is:

“You can’t banish me for this world is my father’s house.”
“But I will slay you,” said the emperor.
“No, you cannot,” said the noble champion of the faith, “for my life is hid with Christ in God.”
“I will take away your treasures.”
“No, but you cannot not for my treasure is in heaven and my heart is there.”
“But I will drive you away from man and you will have no friend left.”
“No, but you cannot, for I have a friend in heaven from whom but you cannot separate me. I defy you; for there is nothing that you can do to hurt me.” (Hughes, 171)
Chrysostom understood what Paul wanted the believers in Rome to understand—that once we are liberated from the condemnation of sin and death, we are truly free. When we move from the fear of death to faith in the resurrection it changes everything.

If God is for me, then I have nothing to fear
I need not fear death,
For my Savior’s Resurrection has set me free.
I need not fear men,
For my Savior’s protection has set me free.
I need not fear slander,
For my Savior’s advocacy has set me free.
I need not fear Judgment,
For my Savior’s blood has set me free.
I need not fear the future,
For my Savior’s promises have set me free.
I need not fear famine,
For my Savior’s provisions have set me free.
I need not fear rejection,
For my Savior’s acceptance has set me free.
I need not fear loneliness,
For my Savior’s presence has set me free.
I need not fear evil,
For my Savior’s righteousness has set me free.
Surely if God is for me, then I have nothing to fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment