Thursday, April 11, 2013

Lessons to learn from the Lord


I think I am learning a valuable lesson. I, like many others, push a bit too hard. I work hard and long hours. I tend to sleep less than I should, exercise less than I should, eat worse than I should, and rarely have a day off. It is very difficult to take Sabbath time as commanded by God for my own good. It is easy to justify my actions. The ministry demands full dedication. There are always sermons to prepare, lessons to prepare, letters to be written, articles to write, people to visit, issues to help people work through, phone calls and emails to return, meetings to attend, staff and volunteers to encourage, and I never feel caught up. I feel drained on many levels.

Add to that I teach two classes a week at our local Christian University (two hours away). While this is a tremendous honor and joy, it is also very draining and is always at least a 12 hour day on Mondays. There is also the pressure to get my dissertation done. Then, more important than any job I may have is my immediate family. My wife and baby deserve second place only to the Lord. With all this in mind I tend to push myself physically, emotionally, and mentally to my breaking point. Well, I think I have found one of those breaking points. I just can’t seem to shake this nasty cold (bronchitis and sinus infection). I know it is because I am too worn down, but I have no idea how to change my life to make it more manageable while still fulfilling my duties. Prayers are appreciated. Here are the texts from yesterday and today.

April 10, 2013            Josh 19–20, Luke 9:12–36, Ps 44:21–26, Prov 9:11–12
April 11, 2013            Josh 21–22, Luke 9:37–62, Ps 45:1–7, Prov 9:13–15

Joshua 19-22
Chapter 19 ends with the land allotment given to Joshua. Why is this significant?
Notice that Joshua took his land last, he allowed others to take the best land. He took land from the hill country that would be a harder life than many other places he could have chosen. What does this tell us about his character? What can we learn from this in regards to leadership?

Chapter 20 deals with the cities of refuge. Read Hebrews 6:18-20. What similarities do you see between the cities of refuge and Christ?

Chapter 21, the key verse of this section is verse 45 “God keeps His promises.” God kept His promise to give them land, rest, and the priesthood. Know you can trust the Word of the Lord. What promises has God made for you?

Chapter 22, the tribes had kept their word and were commended for doing so. Who can you commend, encourage today that has been faithful in their service?
It is always important for God’s people to have unity. The symbol of unity here was first misinterpreted, but in the end all was well. What can you do today to help maintain unity of God’s people? Read Proverbs 18:13 and James 3:13-18

Luke 9:12-62
How is it possible for 12 men to feed 5,000 with only 5 loaves of bread and 2 fish? It is not without the power of God. What is God calling you to do that is impossible on your own?

Peter’s confession of faith is vital. What does it mean that Jesus is the Christ of God?
Jesus said, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me. For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will save it. For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and is himself destroyed or lost? For whoever is ashamed of Me and My words, of him the Son of Man will be ashamed when He comes in His own glory, and in His Father’s, and of the holy angels.”
How have you taken up your cross what does this mean?

What is the significance of the transfiguration?

Jesus said He had to bear with some. At times He had to bear with their unbelief (vss. 37-42), our spiritual blindness (vss. 43-45), our pride (vss. 46-48), our lack of love (vss. 49-56), and our lack of dedication (vss. 57-62). We strive to please the Lord; does your unbelief, spiritual blindness, pride, lack of love, and lack of dedication cause the Lord to have the bear with you at times?

Psalm 44:21-45:7
No sin could be concealed from the God who searches hearts. Are there things that deep down you are trying to hide from the Lord?  
The psalmist asks that God no longer ignore the difficulty of his people because God is full of loving-kindness.


Psalm 45 is a marriage song in which a mighty warrior king is married to a beautiful princess. It is likely this Psalm was based on the marriage of Solomon to Pharaoh’s daughter. A greater than Solomon, however, is here.
In what ways is Jesus beautiful (not physical)?
What battles has Jesus fought and won?
See Colossians 2:15 and Revelation 19:11-21

Proverbs 9:11-15
Wisdom claims to be able to multiply one’s days and increase the years of his life. The idea is that by following the path marked out by wisdom one avoids violent and premature death which stalks those who choose the path of evil (see 3:2, 16; 4:10). Jesus expanded and explained such promises with the concept of eternal life. Those who embrace him have already passed from death to life (9:11).
Each individual has within him the power to choose wisdom and reap the reward, or to remain a scorner and pay the price. Those who choose to mock godliness and virtue “shall bear it,” i.e., incur the penalty for their conduct (9:12).

Folly, the rival of wisdom, is represented here under the guise of an adulteress. Folly is controlled by passion rather than by wisdom. Folly does not think before she acts. Last folly is willfully ignorant; she ignores the consequences of her actions.
Are you following the way of wisdom or of folly?

No comments:

Post a Comment