Sunday, August 17, 2014

100th Anniversary



This weekend has been a great blessing. We celebrated our 100th Anniversary at First Christian Church in Roanoke Rapids. This church has blessed the lives of so many people over the years. Only the Lord knows how many have been brought to Christ, encouraged in Christ, and grown in Christ due to the people in FCC.

For this weekend's events to have worked it took the work of many people. I am not going to try to name them here, but I am very grateful for them. For those that helped with our worship (music, equipment, video, and prayer) I thank you. For those that helped with the promotion and video I think you. For those that helped with parking, mowing, cleaning, getting together the bulletins, plans and decorations I thank you. To Bob Russell, we were blessed to have you with us.

There were approximately 430 that worshiped with us today. Add another 200+ on Saturday evening's event and it makes for a very large group for our congregation. While numbers are not the end all in evaluating success, it is very exciting to have a packed house. As I looked around this morning I realized that the majority there are from FCC. If we could only get all of us there every Sunday our average attendance would be much higher.

I feel blessed that the love of our people was evident. There is a feeling of peace, love, and excitement among the congregation. I pray that this weekend will be the launching of a revival in Roanoke Rapids.

Bob's sermons this weekend were very powerful. Saturday he preached about having a radical faith. I hope all of us are challenged to live out our faith with boldness and passion.


This morning his sermon was about why he loves the church. I left encouraged and convicted to be more positive about the church. I pray that we can promote what is good about the church at FCC in our community. Let us build one another up with love and truth and not tear one another down in any way. 

This year has been a great year for FCC. Just consider a few of the big events we have had so far:
  • Valentines Banquet
  • VBS (I think this was the best VBS I have ever been a part of, it was powerful to be sure.)
  • Camp (You helped to make our week of church camp with 5-7th graders wonderful)
  • This weekend
We have several more big events coming this year like our Trunk or Treat, Thanksgiving Meal, Christmas Program, Christmas Eve Service, and of course our weekly worship time. Add to that our Sunday and Wednesday night programing will start up in a couple of weeks. 

Great things are ahead for FCC. Please join me in praying for the Lord to use us to reach the lost and disciple the saved. Please pray with me for the unity and peace we have to continue. Pray with me that the spirit of love and the positive attitude we have will continue. Please pray with me that God will raise up new workers as we continue to grow. Satan will attack the church if we are doing good things and we must be ready. However, we know that if God is for us nothing can stand against us. 

I feel blessed to be part of this church family. You have taken my family and me in as family. For that we will always be humbled and thankful. As I seek to preach God's Word, maintain a life of purity and humility, be the husband and father I am called to be, to be the teacher I am called to be, to be the leader I am called to be, and to the shepherd I am called to be I ask for your patience and grace. I am but a man and a simple one at that, but I'm doing my best I promise. Your prayers are always welcomed.  I believe the best is yet to come for First Christian Church as long as we keep our eyes on Jesus and love one another. May those that came before us find us faithful and may those that go before us find us faithful as well. I pray that the founders of FCC would be overwhelmed to see what their seed of faith has grown into and that 100 years from now the believers at FCC will be inspired by the work that is done today by the faithful. Blessings to you all my friends.  

No comments:

Post a Comment