Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Reflections From Spending Time With Bob Russell

This past weekend Bob Russell came to be our speaker at First Christian Church for our 100th anniversary. I was able to spend a few hours with him and it was valuable time. He was very gracious toward my family, my church family, and to me. He was very kind about me to others as well, which I appreciate. Bob is not a perfect man, but he does have a lot of wisdom to share. Here are a few of my takeaways:

Integrity is vital
I have heard some very positive reviews and a few negative reviews of Bob Russell. Some look at him as if he is more than a man and others want nothing to do with him. However, I have never heard any of his detractors question his integrity. In over 40 years of ministry there was not question about his commitment to his wife and kids, nor any question about misuse of money. If I am going to be successful in the Lord’s eyes, integrity is vital. Without integrity all the talent in the world does not accomplish the will of God.  
Hard work is needed to succeed 
It is very obvious that Bob spends a lot of time in study and preparation for his sermons and writing. It is not as if he simply stands up and says what is on his mind. I heard him say some years back the difference between a good sermon and a great sermon is about 10 hours. Good words of advice. Invest the time in study and seek to do your best and good things will likely happen. 
Excellent preaching requires passion
I have met few people that love preaching as much as Bob. He talks about preaching, he talks about training preachers, he talks about creative ways to help existing preachers, he talks about raising up new preachers, he talks about different styles of preachers, he talks about the right way to illustrate, and I think you get the idea. A question I ask myself often is, what are you passionate about? What do you love to talk about? If preaching is not high on that list I may well never be the preacher or trainer of preachers I seek to become. 
Criticism is inevitable 
Bob preached at a church of 18,000, has written more articles that most have read, written several books, and spoken at more places than most have visited. When you are doing something good there will be those that criticize. We discussed some of the criticism he received over the years, but it was far from the focus of the discussion. Though I preach at a small church, have written very little, and have spoken at few places, I do know that if I allow others to do so they will steal my joy. I have to learn to live by faith and for the approval of the Lord.
The power is in the Word of God
Bob has a strong conviction that preaching should be based on the Word of God and not just good stories and motivational talks. He thinks about how we can get people into the Word and learn the Word. He is concerned about the future of the church as we continually move as a culture to a consumer based mentality (not his words, mine). He would like to see more preaching through books of the Bible, more reading of Scripture really well done during the services, and a greater emphasis upon teaching God’s Word in Sunday School or whatever format works best. I agree with him wholeheartedly.  I am praying about how I can make the biggest impact upon the congregation and community I serve through the Word of God. 
Be careful how you define success
It is easy to look at the numbers at Southeast Christian Church when Bob preached there and automatically see that as success. While attendance, buildings, and offering are clues to church health, they do not tell the whole story. We have to dig deeper and ask better questions like: what are they being won to believe, are they standing for the truth, are disciples of Christ being made, and are they leaving a legacy? When I look at my situation we have seen some growth numerically, but nothing that is worth writing about, I seek to be faithful and realize God gives the true growth that is needed. I think about the legacy that people like Bob have left with so many. I realize if I am going to leave a legacy of faith evidenced through disciples I have to get on it. 
Age is relative
While Bob is over 70 years old I would have never guessed that by his attitude, appearance, or energy level. He still preaches and teaches on a very consistent basis. He is committed to helping to encourage and strengthen the churches, preachers, and schools. As a young man of 35 (I would be retired if I were a pro athlete and Jesus had already completed His task by this age, I must be a slacker) I have hope that I have many years to leave an impact for the Lord. I am also excited to think of the whole baby boomer generation as they reach retirement age, but have many years of service left to give to the church. 
The need to raise up preachers
We had a good discussion about why there are so few that are going to college to preach today. There are several reasons for it to be sure, too many for me to talk about here. However, two that Bob points out that I can play a part in are these: 1. Church camps of the past put a big emphasis upon rising up preachers and missionaries. I can try to do a better job with that in future, though I normally do not work with high school students and well not too many high school students go to camp anymore; and 2. In the past preachers spent real time with young people teaching them and encouraging them. To a large degree this mentoring has been handed over to youth ministers and children’s ministers and such.  While we are blessed to be able to have those that are called to work with our youth, it is the preacher’s calling to pour into some that show potential for preaching as well. If they have never seen it modeled we cannot expect them to go into preaching. 
The need for a peer group of other ministers/preachers/teachers
Bob had one and seeks to help foster that through retreats he hosts for young preachers. He tries creates an atmosphere in which the participants can feel comfortable enough to open up about their hurts, struggles, and success. This is a great thing. I need a good peer group, true spiritual friends that can relate to my situation. We all need that. 
I have much to learn 
Today someone saw a man at a local restaurant and he opened up the conversation with these words, “that preacher this weekend was great. You have a long way to go to be as good as him.” No doubt he is right. That did not hurt my feelings, he is right I do have a long way to go. Having said that Bob and I have different styles and I am ok with that. I may not be the greatest preacher you will ever hear, but I seek to be the best I can be with the gifts and time I have been given. 

It was great having Bob with us this weekend. I pray it starts a revival in our congregation and in our community. I pray I can learn to be the man I am called to be, can stay focused on the Word of God, and have the passion to do my best always. I pray I can have an impact upon young preachers one day too. To God be the glory in all things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment