Tuesday, August 19, 2014

12 Reasons Why I Love Church Camp

Why I Love Church Camp


July 20-25 I had the privilege of being dean at Roanoke Christian Camp in Washington, NC with 5-7th grade campers. I have done something like 24 weeks of camp over the years. Perhaps, this was the best one yet. As I look back on it nearly a month later I realize I really do love church camp. Here are a few reasons, in no real order:






1.     I love the kids
I really do love kids. I love to see them learn and play and work through things. If I say I love kids then it is only logical I would want them to go to church camp. At camp we have an opportunity to affect the lives of these kids in a unique way.


2.     I love the adults
I love working with the adults, but young and more mature. This year we had a wonderful staff. I believe if we adults come with the right attitude, camp can help us grow spiritually like few things can.


3.     I love to have fun
There is no doubt we had a great time this year. Just look at a few of the pictures. I love seeing others have fun.


4.     I love the camp food
The food was great here. I am not kidding; the food was great.


5.     I love the Lord
Since I love the Lord it is important to me to pour into those created in his image, both the lost and the saved.


6.     I love the location
Just look at the view here, it is beautiful.


7.     I love the feeling of being well prepared
It took a huge amount of work to pull off this weeklong event. However, when we got there and we were well prepared it was a great feeling.


8.     I love seeing kids and adults open up

We live in such a negative society. To have a safe place that we can talk openly about our questions, hurts, dreams, and ideas is a wonderful thing. 

9.     I love seeing kids come to the Lord
No explanation needed I hope

10. I love the teamwork


In order to do camp right it takes many working together as a team. If there is one team member that does not pull their weight it hurts the rest of the team. To do something truly special takes teamwork. Too often we try to do it all by ourselves, this often is not enough.


11. I love the singing
Yes I love the worship time, but that is not really what I mean here. I loved at lunch, when walking around, when just playing with the kids singing songs. Sometimes it was Christmas songs, sometimes it was a wake up song, and most of the time it was just something I made up on the spot. Not once did any of the kids tell me to be quiet. I love kids.


12. I love the change of pace.
While I missed my wife and little girl greatly, it was great to be at camp and not dealing with my normal day to day issues at work. If my wife and daughter could have joined me that would have made it a whole lot better, but it was still good to have a week focused completely on serving the kids and ministering to the adults there. 

I feel truly blessed to have been given the opportunity to volunteer for this week of camp. I hope I am given the opportunity again. I hope you will consider joining me next year, I love camp and you may well too.

2 comments:

  1. Bane and family we sure do miss you here at Butler Springs Christian Camp.
    But I am thankful that you are still making an impact on people around the world!
    Thanks for being a vessell for God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a real blessing and honor to serve at Butler Springs. I will always be thankful for the opportunity. I have such great memories of working with the 7-9 graders and of the staff that were so kind to me and my family.

    ReplyDelete