Thursday, January 17, 2013

A few thoughts from today



As I watched the highlights of the interview with Lance Armstrong two questions kept coming to mind:
1. Why do we try to justify our actions so hard?
2. Why is the temptation to lie so strong?

The answers to that are no real difficult to answer and they are not new questions. From the garden of Eden to today we still do our best to cover up our lies, blame others, and justify our actions. Before we are too judgmental of this situation please take time to consider when you have lied and tried to cover it up. Consider how you have or are presenting yourself in a light that is not true. Are you wearing a mask for the sake of your ego and reputation? Do you really think it will last?

I find this whole episode tragic on several levels. So many sports heroes of the last several years have shown themselves to be not only liars, but also angry self defensive ego manics too often. I hurt for them and pray for them, I say that in all honesty. Mr. Armstrong has hurt so many people and helped so many people. He has hurt people through the courts, his failed relationships, and public trust in general. It is more and more difficult to know who we can trust.

On the other hand he has brought so much attention to cancer research and brought hope to many. I pray that does not end. While he lied, cheated, and hurt many he also inspired many to keep fighting. I recall reading his book about his life and one of the things that struck me was his pride. His recovery was all about his self will and determination. God had no real part in it in his mind (or at least that is the way I took it). Tonight I am praying for Lance that he will turn to the Lord in a mighty way. His life is far from over and he still can do so much good.

I am praying also for Manti Tte'o tonight as well. The whole situation make me scratch my head. Either way the young man has a tremendous potential life ahead of him. I pray that whatever happened it can be put behind him and he can learn from it. We Americans love sensationalism and that is not a good thing.

Well those are my thoughts, not that you have to agree with them. I would ask that you join me in praying for these two men tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment